- 1.5 lbs jumbo scallops, wet or dry-packed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 4 slices lemon, optional garnish
- 2 tsp Italian parsley, chopped, optional garnish
- Prepare scallops by removing side muscle, rinsing and patting dry. Resting for 15 minutes on paper towels.
- Once dry, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and add olive oil.
- Heat until very hot but not smoking.
- Carefully add dry scallops in a single layer and do not crowd.
- Sear undisturbed for 1½-2 minutes, until golden brown. Scallops should release easily from the pan. If not, let them cook a little longer.
- Turn each scallop over with metal tongs or spatula. Reduce heat to medium and add butter.
- Using a large spoon baste the scallops with the melted butter and cook for about 60-90 seconds further. The center side of the scallops should be opaque.
- Remove scallops from the pan and set aside.
- Add lemon slices and sear on each side for about 30-45 seconds.
- Add lemon to plate as a garnish. If desired, drizzle the butter from the pan and top of scallops and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve.