This spicy zucchini noodle egg bake is loaded with sautéed onions, spicy sausage, crispy bacon and of course eggs! Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it’s Paleo, Whole30 and low carb…
Ingredients [ For 8 to 9 people ] [ Preparation time : 56 minute – Cooking time : 45 minutes ]
- 3-4 medium/large zucchini spiralized, salted and allowed to “sweat” for an hour, then squeezed with a paper towel
- 2 spicy sausage links chorizo, andouille, spicy Italian precooked and chopped**
- 4 slices bacon cut into bite-size pieces (use sugar-free for Whole30)
- 1/2 medium onion or 1 small onion sliced thin
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast or 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, if dairy is okay
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes add to preference
- 4-5 eggs
- salt and black pepper or a pinch of red pepper flakes to top eggs
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and heat a medium heavy skillet over med-hi heat
Add the bacon and cook, stirring to evenly brown, until about 2/3-3/4 of the way done, then drain most of the fat, leaving just a bit to cook the onions and sausage.
Stir in the chopped sausage and sliced onions with the bacon and cook until onions soften and sausage starts to crisp, and bacon is nearly done, drain excess fat and set aside.
Toss the prepared zucchini noodles with nutritional yeast and a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired and transfer to an 8-9 inch casserole dish or 9-inch pie dish.
Add the bacon sausage and onion mixture and gently toss to combine.
Create 4-5 nooks in the mixture for the eggs and carefully crack each one into its nook.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to preference.