This Turtle Chocolate Cake is made with super moist chocolate cake, caramel sauce, chopped pecans and caramel buttercream! It’s like turtle candies in cake form and it’s heavenly!
If you aren’t familiar with turtle candies, then you might be wondering what in the world a turtle cake is. Surely it has nothing to do with the animal? And you’re right! Turtle candies are actually made to look like the shape of a turtle, hence the name. Pecans are used to kind of look like the little legs and caramel sauce and chocolate make up the body of the turtle. It’s a delicious candy and just might be even better in cake form.
I originally shared a different version of this cake about 5 years ago. While I loved that cake, more people than I’d like had trouble with the caramel sauce and buttercream. So I’m finally sharing an updated version where everything is a little more simplified. Plus, there’s a video this time where I actually show you just how to make the cake! Yay!
I love this turtle cake recipe. I’ve had many and this one is moist and full of chocolately goodness. A little bit goes a long way. It’s great for a crowd. You’ll love it! Yummy, please make sure to like and share this recipe with your friends on facebook
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups pecans
3/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 (14 ounce) bags caramels
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup oil
1 (18 ounce) boxes german chocolate cake mix
1) prepare cake mix as directed. Pour 1/2 of the batter in a 13×9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
2) remove and let cool. In a double boiler, add caramels, milk and butter and stir constantly till melted.
3) pour melted caramel over cooling cake.
4) sprinkle on top 1 cup of pecans& chocolate chips.
5) pour remaining batter on top and bake for an additional 20 minutes.