How to make White Cak
– 1 cup milk, room temperature
– 6 egg whites, room temperature (about 3/4 cup)
– 1 teaspoon almond extract
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
– 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
– 4 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (I also recommend adding a circle of parchment paper to the bottom of each pan to further ensure the cake doesn’t stick.)
– In a medium bowl, stir together the room temperature milk and egg whites along with the vanilla and almond extracts until blended.
– In a large mixing bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the bowl then cut in the by hand (a pastry blender works well!) until the butter pieces are the size of small peas.
– Add the milk mixture and beat on low speed just until combined. Do not over mix.
– Pour the batter evenly between the two cake pans.
– Bake at 350 for 23-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
– Cool the cakes to room temperature before frosting.