How to make Nutella Stuffed French Toast with Macerated Strawberries
– The ultimate way to make french toast – stuffed with a layer of decadent chocolatey Nutella and finishing it with sweet fresh strawberries.
– 1 (16 oz) loaf French bread (use a loaf that’s one or two days old)
– 1 cup milk
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– 5 large eggs
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
– 2 Tbsp flour
– 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 cup Nutella or Nocciolata
– Butter , for griddle
– Powdered sugar , for dusting
– 1 1/2 lbs strawberries
– 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
– Preheat an electric griddle to 350 – 375 degrees. Slice bread using a serrated knife into 1 1/4-inch slices.
– Cut through the center of each slice (as if butterflying a chicken breast) keeping the end attached. Spread a slightly heaping tablespoon of Nutella inside center of each slice, set aside.
– To a blender, add milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, granulated sugar, flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Pulse on low speed, just until combined. Pour into a shallow dish.
– Dip each side of french toast into egg mixture allowing a few seconds for it to soak up some the mixture, being careful not to submerge the Nutella spread center.*
– Butter griddle just before transferring soaked bread (so butter doesn’t burn) and cook stuffed french toast until golden brown on bottom, then lift, butter griddle once more and flip to opposite side and cook until golden brown.
– Serve immediately dusted with powdered sugar and topped with macerated strawberries.
For the macerated strawberries:
– In a bowl, toss together diced strawberries and sugar and let rest at room temperature 30 minutes. Store in refrigerator.