How to make Balsamic and Honey Pulled Pork Sandwiches
– Sweet and tangy, easy to make pulled pork sandwiches that you’ll want to make again and again!
– 2 1/2 – 3 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
– 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
– 1 small yellow onion , chopped (1 cup)
– 1/2 tsp dried thyme
– 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
– 1 cup balsamic vinegar
– 3/4 cup ketchup
– 1/3 cup honey
– 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (light is fine too)
– 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
– 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
– 2 cloves garlic , minced
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Hamburger buns
– Coleslaw (optional)
– Trim fat from pork roast then place roast in a slow cooker and pour broth over top. Top evenly with onions, thyme rosemary and lightly sprinkle with pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 8 – 9 hours or HIGH 4 1/2 hours.
– During last 30 minutes of roast cooking, in a medium saucepan whisk together balsamic vinegar, ketchup, honey, brown sugar, worcestershire, mustard, garlic, 1/2 tsp pepper and season with salt to taste (keep in mind pork is usually pretty salty so you won’t need much). Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened about 20 – 25 minutes.
– Remove pork from slow cooker, shred while removing any fat. Drain onions and broth from slow cooker and discard then return shredded pork to slow cooker (set slow cooker on warm heat at this point). Pour in balsamic sauce mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve in buns with coleslaw if desired.