How to make Layered Taco Salad
* 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
* 1 small can green chilies, undrained
* 1 head iceberg lettuce, outer leaves removed (all other lettuces will wilt)
* 1 packet taco seasoning mix (or a mixture of cumin, chili powder and garlic powder)
* 1 cup ranch sour cream mayonnaise, divided (recipe below)
* 1 (15 oz.) can of your favorite beans, rinsed and drained very well
* 1/2 can (about 7 oz.) sweet corn, drained very well
* 1/2 cup chopped purple or green onion + more for top
* 8 oz. of your favorite tomato salsa
* 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 (3.8 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained very well
* 1/2 lb. bacon, fried until crispy, cooled completely, and crumbled
* 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
* 1 Roma tomato, seeds removed, chopped
* Ripe avocado chunks, (optional)
* Tortilla chips for topping
Cook the ground beef, canned chilies and taco seasoning in a skillet until beef is brown all the way through and the liquid from the chilies has evaporated. Place in refrigerator and allow to chill until completely cold. Then, place in an even layer on the bottom of a 9×13 glass cake pan.
Top with a double layer of crisp, iceberg lettuce leaves (half the head), 1/2 cup of the ranch sour cream mayonnaise smoothed into an even layer, beans, corn, onion, another double layer of lettuce (press down gently after placing the lettuce,) the other 1/2 cup of ranch sour cream mayo, salsa, cheese, olives, bacon, jalapenos, tomato and a little more purple onion. Place cover or foil on cake pan and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before slicing into pieces, crunching tortilla chips over the top, and serving. Feel free to top this with avocado chunks, extra tomato chunks, and your favorite hot sauce too!
For the ranch sour cream mayonnaise:
* 3/4 cup real mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup full fat sour cream
* 3 to 6 Tablespoons dry buttermilk ranch dressing mix (homemade or Hidden Valley) add gradually, according to individual taste
* Mix well. Chill until ready to use.